I am reading a paper, Communicating Cross-Culturally: What Teachers Should Know, as part of some additional teacher training that I am taking. Part of my assignment is to express my thoughts on the information this paper presents and how I plan to implement these strategies into my class. I thought I’d share the 6 principles and then in subsequent posts share my thoughts for each principle. Please share your thoughts with me.
The 6 principles are:
- Ways of Knowing – How do cultures come to acquire information?
- Ways of Solving Problems – Cultures have different ways of solving problems
- Ways of Communicating Non-Verbally – Cultures have different ways of communicating non-verbally, and it is crucial for teachers to be aware of these differences.
- Ways of Learning – Generally speaking, different cultures also learn in different ways.
- Ways of Dealing with Conflict – Some cultures view conflict as a positive thing, while others view it as something to be avoided.
- Ways of Using Symbols– In the multi-cultural school setting, symbols that are unique to various cultures should be correctly understood and interpreted.