I enjoy reading leadership books such as The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and Seven Simple Steps to Personal Freedom. A series of posts that I am writing will share 7 simple steps that my father taught me. This post introduces them. Here they are.
- Will you have a good day or a bad day? The choice is yours. Your attitude determines your day. While it is always easier to complain than to face your daily challenges, which choice makes your day brighter?
- Houston do we really have a problem? Remember the movie Apollo 11? The Apollo 11 crew had a real problem. Most problems that occur in life are really no big deal, they are just part of life. So, get on with life and save the concern and worry for the real problems. When my dad found out he had a terminal illness (a brain tumor) he didn’t complain. He told my brother and I that he enjoyed his life, had no regrets and his only wish was that my brother and I would stick together and help each other out. He died peacefully just as he lived his life.
- If you can’t be friends with yourself, how can you expect others to be friends with you? Learn and do what you need to do to be friends with yourself. As my dad always said, “Smile and the world smiles with you. Cry and you cry alone.”
- Wherever I go, I have to take myself and that spoils everything. In other words, learn to laugh at yourself. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Everyone is good at something and everyone has something they can teach you.
- The answer is not the reflection you see in the mirror. It is how others see you. It is good to have a positive attitude and see yourself as smart and successful. However, it is just as important to understand how others see you and learn from them.
- Respect people until they give you a reason not to. Religion, politics, skin color, and nationality mean nothing. All races have good and bad people.
- Going to a house of God does not make you a good person. It’s the way you act and treat people every day of your life that answers that question.
These simple steps will make you a better person and your life more enjoyable. Best of all, they are easy to implement. All you need to do is change your attitude.